CapSense Shield and Arduino Diecimila conflict

Interfacing hardware, sensors, output drivers, chips.
grgtrpp

CapSense Shield and Arduino Diecimila conflict

Post by grgtrpp » Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:27 pm

If you build the CapSense Shield according to the instructions, and put the audio output jack on the bottom, you will find that the jack will hit the Arduino Diecimila power jumper and thus not allow the CapSense Shield to mount flush.

I also found that the resistor packs in the kit weren't the same values as in the instructions, but 470 ohm for the LEDs (RNL), and 1M for the cap sense pins (RNC) work fine.

The ArduCapSenseSynthy sketch worked well.

paul
Site Admin

Re: CapSense Shield and Arduino Diecimila conflict

Post by paul » Sat Jan 08, 2011 6:29 pm

Dear grgtrpp,
If you build the CapSense Shield according to the instructions, and put the audio output jack on the bottom, you will find that the jack will hit the Arduino Diecimila power jumper and thus not allow the CapSense Shield to mount flush.
I guess I only tried with a Duemilanove.
I also found that the resistor packs in the kit weren't the same values as in the instructions, but 470 ohm for the LEDs (RNL), and 1M for the cap sense pins (RNC) work fine.
Nick (at Arducapsense ) hadn''t put docs when I wanted to build the board so I ordered some networks that I knew would work. I actually haven't tested with 10M networks yet - they might allow some sensing when a finger is close to the pad, but not touching. My experiments didn't show much action until you really touch a pad. It's definitely a work in progress but works really well as far as my experience goes.

One suggestion in my experience is to hold the ground on the USB with your left hand (if you're right handed) for a very solid reading from the sensors. The output is also nicely pressure sensitive so plenty of programming applications come to mind with music and otherwise.

We have lots of ideas for improvements, including all surface mount components on the bottom for a smoother ride.
Let us know if you have suggestions,

Paul