TAT questions

Interfacing hardware, sensors, output drivers, chips.
StandardRockets

TAT questions

Post by StandardRockets » Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:03 pm

So the TAT's recommended minimum voltage is 4 volts according to the website.

I'd like to use the TATs with a TI MSP430-2500 wireless board which with their included battery holder puts it's operating voltage at 3v using new alkaline AAA batts. So what are the implications of using the TAT at such a low voltage?

Also if I were to boost the supply to 5v and had it calibrated for .5v at zero wind, at what wind strength might the TAT reach 3v?

I'm only planning on using these with a max of 20mph wind outdoors. i.e. when the wind hits 15, I shut things down till things settle down...

paul
Site Admin

Re: TAT questions

Post by paul » Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:51 pm

StandardRockets,
Also if I were to boost the supply to 5v and had it calibrated for .5v at zero wind, at what wind strength might the TAT reach 3v?
If the temperature hadn't changed much between when you calibrated then somewhere between 20 and 30 mph. The problem with that sensor is that it has a thermal coeffecient that I haven't been able to find and kill.

I would hesitate to recommend it now in its present state for any kind of dependable outdoor use, just because of its temperature dependency. It's due for a respin soon, but I need to get some time to work on it a bit before I put it out in a new state. It's a good sensor now for indoor type situations, but its still got a way to go for sensing wind in situations with widely changing temperature.

Paul