BBB + P4 + Belkin USB to Serial

Questions and Discussion concerning the Bare Bones Board
brokenlcd

BBB + P4 + Belkin USB to Serial

Post by brokenlcd » Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:09 pm

I've got a BBB that I was using with my AVRISP MkII programmer, but now I'm planning on using the P4 serial interface. Has anyone tried getting these to work with a USB to Serial converter? I personally have a Belkin made converter.

(I'm just awaiting mine in the mail, wondering ahead of time.)

paul
Site Admin

Re: BBB + P4 + Belkin USB to Serial

Post by paul » Fri Jul 25, 2008 2:27 pm

I'd bet if you get the drivers installed for the belkin USB converter, all will be fine. Reports welcome here though.

There seem to be a number of low-cost USB solutions out there right now, and the issues tend to be drivers - mostly on Mac and Linux.
If it will connect with RS232 then the P4 will work with it.

This can be a solution that works out to be cheaper than the cable but ends up being more hardware and also you lose the nice ability to provide power from the USB.

I'm working on my own USB converter that should be around $9-10. I know the cable seems pricey, and I'd like other solutions myself.

Paul

brokenlcd

Post by brokenlcd » Fri Jul 25, 2008 5:58 pm

Hmm, I seem to have misplaced mine. As soon as I dig it back up I'll give it a whirl.

By the way, I got my P4 today and it was a snap to put together, it was almost as if it came pre-assembled. Well-designed kit, props on that.

brokenlcd

Post by brokenlcd » Tue Jul 29, 2008 2:45 am

I dug up my Belkin USB-Serial adapter, but as it turns out, there are no drivers for the Mac, so I can neither confirm nor deny that it works. Sometime tomorrow, I'll give it a whirl on the linux machine.