BBB will upload but will not run

Problems uploading, serial connections, BUBs, P4, FTDI cables, etc
powellmac

BBB will upload but will not run

Post by powellmac » Sat Jun 13, 2009 1:31 pm

I just assembled a BBB (Rev. E with a 328 chip). When I connect it to my computer, the LED on the BBB lights, and Arduino at least pretends to be able to successfully upload code to the BBB. However, when I try to attach an LED to the BBB on pin 13 and ground, the LED does not light. In the application, I have selected Tools->Board->Arduino Duemilanove w/ ATmega328. Do you have any idea of whaat might be wrong?

Thanks,

Adam

paul
Site Admin

Re: BBB will upload but will not run

Post by paul » Sat Jun 13, 2009 10:12 pm

Hardware issue? Bad solder joint? LED flipped? I'm not questioning your skill level, just trying to cover the bases when the skill level is unknown. Try pressing the reset button after download, just for the heck of it. Also make sure chip is seated firmly. Put the board on a table with pins hanging over the edge and put your thumb onto the chip with some gusto.

Did you try another pin? Get your meter out and see if the pin is blinking with the meter. Also check continuity between the pin and pin 19 on the chip.

If you get a successful download message then the sketch probably did download. Are you using a BUB? Did you see the light flashing on download for three seconds or so?

Write back if one of those things doesn't get it.

Paul

jacobthemonster

Post by jacobthemonster » Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:53 pm

I'm having a very similar problem. The on-board LED lights, the Arduino IDE seems to think the upload goes properly but it won't.freaking.blink. I'm very new to hobby electronics so I'm not entirely sure which connections to test with a meter or the best way to troubleshoot where something is going wrong. I also noticed that the LED doesn't flash when pressing the reset button, which I gather it's supposed to?

In any case I'm enjoying myself immensely with my new hobby, I just want to make things blink :(.

paul
Site Admin

Post by paul » Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:28 pm

jacobthemonster,

The LED on the BBB is just a power-on light so it shouldn't be blinking unless you have a bad solder joint, flaky connection, or short. Hold down the shift key on Arduino and see what it says there - it it's uploading successfully - try a meter between ground and on BBB pin 13 or Atemga chip pin 19, to see if the Atmega chip's pin is blinking - if so then your problem is probably just a bad solder joint on the pin.

Paul

jacobthemonster

Post by jacobthemonster » Wed Sep 14, 2011 4:13 pm

I somehow made up the fact that the on-board LED could also be manipulated via pin 13 :|. To think of the torture I put those poor connections through. But, yay! Off to buy a breadboard and a bunch of LEDs and resistors! Thanks!

Edit: And I confirmed via a simple Serial sketch that everything is indeed working properly (something I should have just done in the first place).