Auto reset problem on BBB

Problems uploading, serial connections, BUBs, P4, FTDI cables, etc
floresta

Auto reset problem on BBB

Post by floresta » Fri Aug 01, 2008 5:00 pm

I have the "auto reset problem" on my new Bare-Bones board. It is similar to, but not exactly the same, as some of those described in the RBBB Auto Reset Problem thread. In my case the auto reset will work exactly once after the USB cable is initially connected to the computer. After the first upload I get an error message each time I try. I can, however, upload programs (oops- sketches) the traditional way - by pressing the reset switch first.

What is different in my case is that the "set RTS on close" fix does not work. In fact it makes things worse. With this option checked I cannot upload programs at all, not the first time after plugging in the USB connector, and not by using the traditional reset switch method. What is interesting is that after the arduino upload fails, and the error message is displayed, the BBB resets and then runs the old program. This does not happen when the "set RTS on close" box is unchecked.

Here's a description of an experiment I tried. I connected one end of a 0.1 uf capacitor to the convenient reset pin provided on BBB rev D. I let the other end hang free. If I momentarily ground the free end of the capacitor the BBB resets - but it only does this once. Subsequent groundings have no effect (does this sound familiar?). If I connect a 10K pullup resistor to the free end of the capacitor then the BBB will reset every time I ground the (previously free) end of the capacitor. This would lend support to the "set RTS on close" fix if indeed it does what it sounds like it should do.

This is the rundown of my hardware and software: I am using Windows XP Pro. I got the same results on two different desktop computers runing SP3 and on a laptop running SP2. I am using v0011 of the arduino software and I got the same results with v0009. I am running Java Version 1.6.0_07 if that makes any difference. My FTDI driver is version 2.4.6.0 and my gut feeling is that this is the problem. Can anyone send me or point me to an earlier version of their driver?

paul
Site Admin

Re: Auto reset problem on BBB

Post by paul » Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:50 pm

Oh Boy! Just when I think this problem is mostly solved.
I can, however, upload programs (oops- sketches) the traditional way - by pressing the reset switch first.
This is odd because manual reset is not supposed to work under any circumstances with the Diecimila bootloader (maybe if extremely lucky - I think the window where you have to push the button is 100 ms). Is this board relatively recent (3 mo) vintage? Does pin 13 flash 4 times when you push the reset button?

Put a multimeter on pin 6 (the green wire) of the FTDI cable and see if the line is normally high - that line is supposed to go low briefly to trigger a reset. The high-to-low transition is what triggers the reset and it doesn't much matter if it stays low during the reset. But the pin needs go high for a bit (say 1 ms), before it goes low again.

Did you try FTDIchip.com ? That's where the drivers are - there are usually a few old versions hanging around, for compatibility reasons. It is of course possible that they decided to change the driver for some reason. I just checked and didn't see anything else, maybe send them some comments and ask for some older versions of their drivers. I just reformatted the drive on my windows machine or I'm sure I would have had an older one :) FTDI support will probably write you back, but it will likely take a day or two.

Make sure you have the correct pullup resistor (10K) brown black orange on the reset line and have a close inspection of all of the solder joints back to the ftdi cable, Though it's not sounding like hardware, if you can make it work by changing Windows settings.

If you have a Diecimila handy - one experiment you could do would be to jumper some wires from the rx, tx, gnd and reset and try programming the BBB with the Diecimila. It wouldn't prove much beyond knowing that the BBB hardware is working as advertised though. If you do this try the reset line - both at the digital front pins, and at pin 6 of the FTDI jack. That will tend to prove the reset system path is functioning as it is supposed to.

That's all I can think of right now - write back with answers to my questions and any progress you make, and I'll see if I can think of some other angles of attack.

Paul

Cheater

Post by Cheater » Sat Aug 16, 2008 9:03 pm

I need to spend more time debugging, but I can confirm that I've got this problem as well under Linux.
Works first time after plugging it in, maybe 5% of the time after that.

paul
Site Admin

Post by paul » Sun Aug 17, 2008 6:42 am

Cheater,

If you're using Linux see the Linux see the thread in the BBB topic. Patch link below.

Here's the patch for Linux to make autoreset work with the FTDI cable, courtesy of one of my customers.
I've renamed it LinuxFixArduino.zip and it can be found here http://moderndevice.com/connect.shtml