Separately power BUB and BBB / RBBB?

Problems uploading, serial connections, BUBs, P4, FTDI cables, etc
w5uxh

Separately power BUB and BBB / RBBB?

Post by w5uxh » Sat Jan 01, 2011 6:07 pm

I have a BBB up and running as a CW keyer / keyboard (ham radio application) and am working on one with the RBBB. I initially programmed both the BBB and RBBB using the BUB, before interfacing them to the rest of the keyer project, which is powered from the transceiver (radio). I use AVRDUDE and existing code that runs on the Duemilanove. I initially had the BBB power jumper set so that the BBB was powered from the BUB but then moved the jumper to use power from the transceiver after disconnecting the BUB. The BBB is working fine.

I am wondering if I can reprogram the BBB when needed, without moving the jumper back, so that while the BUB is powered from the USB port, the BBB remains powered from the external supply. Similiarly, I wonder if I can cut the +5V pin on the six pin RBBB programming header so that I can keep the RBBB keyer powered from the external transceiver power source while the BUB remains powered from the USB port.

This is how I run the Duemilanove, and also several Seeeduino keyers. I leave the keyers powered up normally and just plug the USB cable into the programming connector. In the case of the BBB and RBBB, I hope to do the same thing except of course I would plug the USB cable onto the BUB and connect the BUB to the BBB or RBBB.

Does this sound reasonable?

Thanks,

Chuck Broadwell
Las Cruces, NM

paul
Site Admin

Re: Separately power BUB and BBB / RBBB?

Post by paul » Sat Jan 01, 2011 6:24 pm

w5uxh,

Everything you have proposed will work fine. The cutting the 5V pin on either board is a good way to keep the 5V supply from the BUB from being connected. You need the ground pin however to act as ground for the signals.

Happy keying,

Paul

w5uxh

Re: Separately power BUB and BBB / RBBB?

Post by w5uxh » Sat Jan 01, 2011 6:26 pm

Good. I was pretty sure of that, but get easily confused, so many thanks for the quick confirmation Paul! These little boards are pretty handy for sure.

Chuck