can only upload sketch first time

Problems uploading, serial connections, BUBs, P4, FTDI cables, etc
tedder

can only upload sketch first time

Post by tedder » Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:08 pm

Okay, this sounds weird. What I mean is the first time I power up my BBB or RBBB (I have one of each), I can use the Arduino compiler to upload the sketch. However, if I try uploading again, I get this:

Code: Select all

Binary sketch size: 2854 bytes (of a 14336 byte maximum)
avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x80
avrdude: stk500_disable(): protocol error, expect=0x14, resp=0x80
I'm using the USB-TTL FTDI cable (which needs pin labeling!). I didn't think I needed to use a reset button since both of my boards are the newest revision. What am I doing wrong?

I tried disconnecting the board (to kill power to it) and reconnecting it. No dice- I still get the same error. I tried hitting the reset button and then uploading within a few seconds.

Yes, the serial monitor shows my "hello world" string. So the connection is fine. What am I doing wrong? What do I need to do?

Here's my "hello world" program:

Code: Select all

void setup() { 
    Serial.begin(9600);
    pinMode(13, OUTPUT);
} 

void loop() { 
  Serial.println("Hello world.");
  digitalWrite(13, HIGH);
  delay(500);
  digitalWrite(13, LOW);
  delay(500);
} 

tedder

Re: can only upload sketch first time

Post by tedder » Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:38 pm

Apparently I can't RTFM:

"A: Change this serial port setting: Device Manager -> Com Ports -> USB Serial Port -> Port Settings -> Advanced button -> Set RTS On Close"

Paul- what about putting a note about this (and "black is ground, yellow is RX") on the "connect" product page?

paul
Site Admin

Post by paul » Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:04 pm

"A: Change this serial port setting: Device Manager -> Com Ports -> USB Serial Port -> Port Settings -> Advanced button -> Set RTS On Close"

Paul- what about putting a note about this (and "black is ground, yellow is RX") on the "connect" product page?

Good idea - I have been procrastinating on this for too long - I had it scattered around a few places in the site - but some of them have gotten deleted after various page revs.

If you still have the label to the BBB - it's printed on there. But who reads the fine print, I know?

tedder

Post by tedder » Thu Oct 23, 2008 7:04 pm

paul wrote:If you still have the label to the BBB - it's printed on there. But who reads the fine print, I know?
I knew I'd seen it somewhere, but didn't remember where.

It's all good. I'm pretty happy with my RBBB and BBB now that I know how to use 'em :-)