Computer Cannot Find BBB

Problems uploading, serial connections, BUBs, P4, FTDI cables, etc
kayce

Computer Cannot Find BBB

Post by kayce » Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:42 pm

Hi,

I'm having trouble getting my computer to find my BBB.

I built it at TechShop Menlo Park today under the guidance of an instructor. We ran Arduino's Blink example and it worked, so we can eliminate the possibility of some error due to the fact that I am completely new to all of this (which I am). Power is flowing to the BBB fine on my home computer.

I have the kit containing the BBB, the BUB-II, and the mini cable.

When I try to upload the Blink example on my home computer using the Arduino IDE, I get the programmer message:
avrdude: usbdev_open(): did not find any USB device "usb"

My board type in the Arduino IDE is the Arduino Uno, and my serial port is COM5

I read the FAQ in this subforum, and it said to download the FTDI drivers at http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP.htm

I believe that I successfully updated the drivers based on the files I downloaded from FTDI. This is what is installed:

My OS is Windows Vista Business, Service Pack 2. It is running on a Dell XPS M1530, 32-bit OS

Thanks,
Kayce

paul
Site Admin

Re: Computer Cannot Find BBB

Post by paul » Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:59 pm

kayce,

Just as a matter of troubleshooting, the computer finds the BUB, not the BBB. If you don't see a new com port in your Arduino -> Tools -> Serial Port menu, then the issue is with the drivers.

If you're not seeing and hearing the usual "Found New Hardware" when you plug the BUB in (without the BBB connected) then the issue is the FTDI driver.

Find your device manager - find the "Virtual Com Port" under COM PORTS or USB COM PORT, then do "update driver" and point to the folder that your new driver is in.

I'm sorry I can't be more specific, I haven't done this in a while on a windows machine and Microsoft seems intent on hiding the Device Manager in new places ...
You can't hide from google though - just google around for "Device Manager" and your OS.

Post some screen shots if you get stuck and I'll see if I can help more. Also do this without the BBB plugged in. If you have a short on the BBB it won't allow you to see Serial device, since it's power supply has been shorted.

Paul

Paul