USB Bub board on a mac

Problems uploading, serial connections, BUBs, P4, FTDI cables, etc
ziggo118

USB Bub board on a mac

Post by ziggo118 » Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:30 pm

I'm trying to connect my RBBB arduino that I just put together with the USB BuB board. It uses almost the same chip as the freeduino and that works on my mac, so I assume this should work too. I get the indicator LED to come on, on the arduino and I can get pin 13 to flash an LED. I've updated my FTDI drivers, but it still will not let me upload a program, it gives me the error
"avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding" I get this error whether or not the arduino is connected to the bub board or not.

I have the jumper on the Bub board set to 5 volts. I even tested the actual chip in another board to make sure that worked. I am not sure if it is a problem with the computer or the board.... any ideas?

My solder joints look alright to me, there is some little brown spots (flux I think) on the board that i haven't cleaned but I think that doesn't make much difference. I've checked the polarity of my capacitors and all that too. The instructions mention maybe the resonator not working but I dont understand how it would flash an LED if it didn't...

Any help would be Greatly appreciated.

paul
Site Admin

Re: USB Bub board on a mac

Post by paul » Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:15 pm

Sorry for the slow reply - my forum reporting seems to be erratic ...

Does the USB BUB board show up in the Tools -> Serial Port menu? Try plugging / unplugging and observing the menu.
Check the power on the BUB and on the BBB

Select the correct serial port for the BUB and then hit upload.
Put a meter from ground to the DTR lines and TX lines on the BUB and see if you can see some data moving when you hit upload.
Also try monitoring the reset line on the BBB (this will only flicker .1 of volt or so) and also the RX line.

Let me know how you make out.

Paul

JoeStrout

Post by JoeStrout » Mon Sep 07, 2009 3:34 pm

I just got my USB BUB over the weekend, soldered on the right-angle connector, and tried it out today. I was previously using a Pololu USB-serial adapter and that worked fine, but my USB BUB is not appearing as a serial port.

Here's a stab at a more organized list of symptoms:

- Using a MacBook laptop running 10.5.8.
- My BBB is set for USB power, and when connected to my MacBook, the board powers up and runs the program I previously downloaded via the Pololu adapter.
- But no "USB BUB" (or similar) device appears in Arduino's Serial Port menu.
- The contents of /dev, as seen through the terminal, include no BUB entry either.
- I've unplugged and re-plugged the USB cable. No change.
- Although I'm sure I had the FTDI drivers installed already (I've used a number of other serial devices on this machine), I downloaded the latest (2.1.10), installed them, and rebooted. No change.

I'm out of ideas. Any idea what I have to do to get this thing to show up?

Thanks,
— Joe

paul
Site Admin

Post by paul » Mon Sep 07, 2009 4:09 pm

Joe,

Maybe grab the latest drivers here http://ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP.htm
The date on latest Mac driver release is Aug 29, 2009, so perhaps something changed.

Another troubleshooting idea would be to install / test the BUB on a PC or on another computer to rule out a hardware issue.
I think you got three boards so you should be able to swap them to see if any of them show up. If they all are showing similar response, I'd say things are pointing to a driver issue.

If you try the BUB on a PC you should be able to see the BUB in the Device Manager -> Com Ports -> Virtual USB com port (I may not have terminology spot on, but you get the idea).

Do you get a little three blink salute on the BUB when you plug it in? This is an FTDI self test and it usually [but not always ;) ] indicates that things are fine with the chip.

If you haven't rebooted since you installed drivers, try that. Also close and reopen Arduino IDE after making changes in drivers.
Sorry for the newbie "cure-alls" I'm kind of drawing a blank on other things to try if it's not a driver issue.

Let me know what your results are - sorry I don't have any computers with an OS that up to date, to test on.

Paul

JoeStrout

Post by JoeStrout » Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:00 pm

paul wrote:Maybe grab the latest drivers here http://ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP.htm
The date on latest Mac driver release is Aug 29, 2009, so perhaps something changed.
Thanks for making me look again; I realized this time that I had grabbed the latest PowerPC drivers instead of Intel drivers.

After installing the Intel drivers ("Tiger" version, which applies to 10.5 too), the serial port shows up now as "usbserial-A9007CyI". (Incidentally, is there anything you could do to make that appear as something more descriptive, like "USB BUB"?)

Anyway, I'm up and running now, and I apologize for the noobish mistake... hopefully this thread will be helpful to somebody else someday!

Thanks,
— Joe

paul
Site Admin

Post by paul » Sat Sep 12, 2009 10:33 am

After installing the Intel drivers ("Tiger" version, which applies to 10.5 too), the serial port shows up now as "usbserial-A9007CyI". (Incidentally, is there anything you could do to make that appear as something more descriptive, like "USB BUB"?)
I think there is, but I also think it requires giving FTDI $1500 or so and then I would have to program every chip - which takes a bit of time. It's kind of hard tradeoff since I try to run a really low-cost, low-margin operation. Still - it would be classy I agree. I'll check on this.

Paul

JoeStrout

Post by JoeStrout » Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:29 am

Hey, sorry for digging up this old thread, but I just ran into the same issue again, after updating my Mac to 10.7. FTDI hasn't updated their drivers for 10.7, so I was a little worried, but I download the 64-bit version and installed it, and it appears to work fine. Just thought I'd report that here for posterity.

Thanks again for making such a great little USB-serial adapter!

Cheers,
- Joe

paul
Site Admin

Post by paul » Sat Jan 28, 2012 3:18 pm

Thanks for the report Joe - Other Lion (aka Mac OSX 10.7 ) users will want / need to know.

Paul