Yet more RBBB upload problems

Problems uploading, serial connections, BUBs, P4, FTDI cables, etc
HillyOTM

Yet more RBBB upload problems

Post by HillyOTM » Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:51 pm

Hi there

I'm getting the (apparently rather common)

avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00

error every time I try to upload.

I attempted to reburn the bootloader, but received:

avrdude: usbdev_open(): did not find any USB device "usb"

I can find the USB BUB on the device manager (COM3), but cannot see anything else in relation to it. and I have all the latest drivers.

I'm using the Arduino IDE -> Board - UNO (I've also tried Due 328, just in case, to no avail)
-> Serial Port - COM 3

From the messages I've been getting I doubt that last part is any use though.

Also when I plug the RBBB into the BUB (BUB II if it makes any difference) the LED on the RBBB turns on, just solid on, no flicker, or flash, even if I try pressing the reset button (this is my first arduino, I have no idea if this is normal or not). The only power I'm getting is through the USB (again, I don't know if that's what I'm supposed to do or not).

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Hilly

paul
Site Admin

Re: Yet more RBBB upload problems

Post by paul » Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:04 pm

Hilly,

The light on the RBBB is a pilot light - just means power is good.
Try hooking up an LED to pin 13 and hitting the reset button. If you see a flash then, it means that there is a bootloader on the chip.

If you bought the board recently, it has Uno (Optiboot) bootloader. If it was manufactured more than a year ago, it may have Duemilanove / 328 on it.

Try uploading a couple of times and pressing the reset button.

You say you've installed FTDI drivers? I would try tracking down the device in Device Manager and reinstalling the drivers. Mind you these are the FTDI drivers - NOT the ones for the UNO board, which uses a different USB chip. You can grab the appropriate drivers here:

http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP.htm

Try some of the that and write back if it doens't get you going.

Paul

HillyOTM

Post by HillyOTM » Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:48 pm

ok, I don't get a flash. Does it matter that I'm only using the USB for power? Does the type/voltage of the LED matter? I only have 3.2-3.4 V 5mm, I know that 3mm 2V can be a little more common.

I only bought it last year, so most likely an uno, but as I said, I tried Due just in case and here was no change.

I've tried the drivers a few times and got nothing.

Could this be my problem, could I have assembled the RBBB incorrectly? Would the pilot still come on in that instance? This was my first though, but I couldn't see anything wrong with it, so the IDE debugs were all I had to go off.

paul
Site Admin

Post by paul » Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:04 pm

HillyOTM,

The type of LEDs don't matter.
Confirm voltages at the chip with a multimeter.
http://arduino.cc/en/Hacking/PinMapping
Confirm that the chip is in the socket in correct direction (look at the silkscreen on the board for the divet).
Confirm that the reset line (pin 1) is high and goes low when you push the button.
Confirm that the 10K resistor is closest to the programming header.
Confirm no pins are shorted with solder on the bottom.
Confirm that all pins are soldered on the chip, the solder joints cover the pad, look shiny and have a smooth meniscus shape (Hershey kiss).
Try reheating all solder connections - including the header on your BUB.
In Arduino - Preferences turn on "verbose" on upload.
Report what the results are when you try to upload.

Thanks,
Paul

HillyOTM

Post by HillyOTM » Sat Jul 06, 2013 12:36 pm

I apologise for taking so long with this, life got in the way of arduinos for a while. I have resoldered every point on the board, and the LED on 13 now flashes, confirming that I have a bootloader, however I am still having the same trouble uploading. Is there anything else I can try?

HillyOTM

Post by HillyOTM » Sat Jul 06, 2013 1:48 pm

Never mind, I've just sorted the issue that it left me with, and it was a hardware issue with my PC, and the original problem must just have been my soldering, as the iron I was using previously was rather poor.

Thanks for all the help.

Hilly

paul
Site Admin

Post by paul » Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:00 pm

Glad you got it going. Sometimes brute force is the only way to debug - it builds chops for the next time around :)

Paul