temporary way to connect usb bub

Questions about the Really Bare Bones Board
beverageexpert

temporary way to connect usb bub

Post by beverageexpert » Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:20 am

Hello
this is my first post so bear with the noob. I have purchased a few rbbb's and I am loving them. I plan on buying one with each paycheck till I have enough if that is possible. How do I connect the rbbb with the usb bub without soldering the 5 right angle header pins on the rbbb? I am using it in a project where the pins are getting in the way yet I need to constantly reprogram it because I am tweeking my code. I am sure its a simple answer. maybe some type of snap together connector. I was thinking of soldering some male pins on the usb bub and then sliding a female end over that but I dont think that would be a solid connection. Does a product like that exist? Sorry once again for the noob question. Thanks paul for making a rockin board. I will be buying another one in about a week.
thanks

paul
Site Admin

Re: temporary way to connect usb bub

Post by paul » Thu Aug 06, 2009 6:10 am

beverageexpert,

I can give you several methods. Solder male pins - facing up, on the RBBB, then just slip the BUB over the pins. You may have to apply a bit of pressure to maintain a good connection - but this is entirely workable. We test newly minted BUB's this way.

You could also put the male pins on the BUB.

There are some gold plated spring contacts made for this job. They're called pogo-stick something or other and I saw them at a recent conference. I don't have a part number or source yet though.

Paul

beverageexpert

Re: temporary way to connect usb bub

Post by beverageexpert » Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:40 pm

thanks for the reply
so if I solder the male pins to the bub and just slide the rbbb over the pins that will be a good enough of a connection? I thought I would need something to lock it down or something hence the female pins. Well Ill give it a try with my next one as I have soldered pins on the couple I have already.
thanks